I will not lie to you. I am not romantic. And my husband does not appreciate commercial holidays. Furthermore, I don’t like chocolate. I find it too sweet and as for dark chocolate, I find it even worse, too bitter!
My dad always told me that everyday should be special and that we should not focus on one specific day. We have to love each other every day. He’s right!
I still really enjoy doing nice things for people. I do them all year round and for Valentine’s too even if I am not that romantic.
Play a « love words » game with friends.
How to play:
Prepare as many sheets as there are friends and write the names of everyone with a blank space next to each name. Distribute one page each. (See picture).
Write a quality for each person.
When all the sheets are completed, choose someone to read them out loud. It’s a great ego booster and a fun way to see how your friends, family or kids see you.
A sure hit!
Ask your lover / friend a set of questions in order to fall in love with them even more.
Intriguing right ? When I saw this post « The 36 questions that lead to love», I clicked on it right away. The author believes that the intimacy between two strangers can be accelerated by having them ask each other a specific series of personal questions. Here are a few of my favourite ones.
- What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
- Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful ?
- Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.
- What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
- What is your most treasured memory?
- If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
- If you were going to become a close friend with your partner, please share what would be important for him or her to know.
I tried the experiment with students and they loved it. They bonded right away!
Here is the complete list: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/fashion/no-37-big-wedding-or-small.htm. Keep it for a special occasion.
Send a love video with the One Day app.
Download it from your computer: oneday.com. It is easy to do and the result is amazing. It is free but if you want to make up your own questions, you have to pay a few dollars.
Write a friendship card.
Twenty years ago, I received a card for Valentine’s from a FRIEND. I was used to nice birthday cards from my friends but I had never received one for Valentine’s Day. It surprised and touched me deeply. A simple gesture that meant a lot. I still keep it in a box where I have all my love letters.
Have a red party : from food to clothes. Don’t forget red lipstick too! Go all the way and make a Red Velvet cake in a heart shaped cake pan. OMG.